Monday 5 December 2011

Pucker up - Mistletoe Tutorial

Oops! Its been a couple of days since my last posting but hey, its silly season so I can be forgiven for being a little on the quiet side.  To be fair, I've been off collecting crafty bits and pieces and getting inspired over the weekend - culminating in yesterdays craft session getting ready for this new tutorial. 


I'm pretty well known for not being able to keep plants alive, its a bit of a running family joke as I even managed to kill and un-killable spider plant!  I do like incorporating traditional things into my holiday crafting so I thought why not make some felt mistletoe.  Now it's taken me a few days to get the template right as every time I'd attempted to draw it, it ended up looking rather on the rude side and I'd end up chuckling to myself at my craft desk (simple things eh!)  I wanted this to be a no sew tutorial but that just wasn't going to happen, the bead 'berries' needed sewing so that ended that idea.  But ok, enough waffle from me, you can find the template for the mistletoe here
You will need:

  • Moss green felt
  • scissors
  • Sharpie marker
  • hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • pearl beads
  • needle and thread
  • ribbon in a colour of your choosing



Cut out your template and arrange the pieces on the felt, now is a good time to decide how big you want your arrangement to be so you can draw accordingly.








Draw around your template with the Sharpie (I did try with chalk but it just wasn't working!) and cut out your pieces




Once you've cut out all your pieces, layer and arrange them until you are happy with your shape.  Using your hot glue gun,  use small dabs of hot glue to stick the layers together.  (In case you were wondering, another reason I decided to use hot glue was to add a little weight to the felt)




You can now start adding your bead 'berries' - if you're not as fussy as me you can hot glue them in place, its down to personal preference at the end of the day.  Add as many 'berries' as looks pleasing to your eye.




Once you've added all your 'berries' you need to make a hanging loop and decorative bow.  Now I'm sure you all know how to tie bows but if you get stuck you can always give me a shout.  Use whatever colour you like to match your decor.






Position and glue your hanging loop to your mistletoe then add the decorative bow.













Et voila! your very own mistletoe to smooch under!!















I hope you've enjoyed this little tutorial and if you make your own mistletoe I'd love to see it! As usual, feedback always welcome :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment